Solar F.A.Q.s for The consumer
- March 31, 2016
- Posted by: Energiaa
Q. What is the Hybrid inverter system and how is it different than normal Off-Grid System available with others?
Ans. The Hybrid PCU looks identical to Off-Grid but the difference lies in the Inverter-Converter technology which makes it different from normal Off-Grid PCU. Its features are:
- Uses Grid+ Solar in a true power sharing way to the run entire load, thus reducing the daily grid consumption.
- Battery Remains in Peak charge condition most of the time , thus increasing Battery life
- Uses Battery + Solar to run the load when the Grid is down, thus putting less load on the battery and enhancing battery life and back-up time.
- Remains synchronized with grid, thus Solar power is fully utilized for captive consumption.
- EXPORT TO GRID FEATURE is available so Payback period is shortened by the implementation of net metering.
- Can use Grid power to charge Battery in a controlled / programmed manner.
- Can be used to supply Excess Peak AC power along with Grid / DG set.
- In essence it is a combination of the best of both Off-Grid and Grid-Tie.
Q.What is the Hybrid system and why should I use Battery? I am happy with Grid export.
- Grid Tie Inverter DOES NOT PRODUCE ELECTRICITY when the Grid is absent!
- Now that we have highlighted the above to get your attention let us explain this point. Grid Tie inverters have a compulsory feature called as Anti Islanding.
- Whenever there is a power outage or Grid Failure a grid tie inverter with an anti-islanding function will sense the power outage and shut itself off.
- One common misconception is that a grid tied system will continue to generate power during a blackout. Unless there is a battery back-up system, the grid tie solar system will not produce power when the grid is down.
- For a country like India where uninterrupted Grid is not always available during day time, the generation from Solar Grid Tie is reduced.
- Since Grid-Tie cannot work without Grid, one will have to start DG set and thus, his/ her fuel consumption will increase or at least remain the same as before. It cannot be run without Grid. We will have to use Battery based normal Inverters to run the establishment which are very inefficient and consume a lot of energy. So why maintain two Inverters while one can do both.
- Running The DG alongside Solar will reduce the load on the DG set and Dg sets running on less than 30% load tend to have a reduced Life and much lesser fuel efficiency.
Q.What is the life of Battery? Is it possible to get 5 years in a normal Lead Acid Battery?
- The life of a Lead acid Battery is defined in terms of number of full Discharge Cycles. It also depends on many factors like charging method, Depth of Discharge, end-of-discharge voltage settings, recharge cycles, and temperature, which also varies with type of Battery selected.
- The Hybrid Inverter charger has many precautions and settings so as to give 5 years life or more to the battery. The Hybrid Inverters ensure that the battery is charged in the most efficient way by power sharing between multiple sources.
- Battery is kept in Peak charge condition thus increasing battery life.
- It is subjected to conditions, but they are the one normally encountered in Indian cities daily.
Q.How to select PV, Battery and Inverter (PCU) ratings?
- Send the total Load of your establishment giving their name, rating and number.
- Send the working hours’ cycle including weekend
- A photo of the building and shadow free area of the roof the metering panel we need to
- Make changes, coherence and sharpness.
Q.Am I eligible for Government subsidy?
As per the new policy, there is a 15% subsidy on schools and government establishments. It is advisable not to look for subsidy as better cost effective business models are available.
Q.What is the economics of it when compared with DG set?
Nominal per unit cost through DG may vary between Rs 17-20 per unit as against Rs 6-10/ through Hybrid system .But it is the DG maintenance cost, diesel procurement cost, noise, and environment that make Solar Power very attractive. It helps improve work efficiency plus there would be no break (of even a second) and it makes the process/ life comfortable –which is priceless.
Q.What if I do not use Solar Panels?
Not a problem! The controller is fitted inside and Solar may be added any time in future without any restriction.
Q.What would be the cost if I use it inside my flat and do not use the Electricity supplied by the developer?
For a simple flat one can buy the Home ESS solution that can run even an Air conditioner, as well as all home appliances. The cost per unit of Electricity thus generated through Battery + Inverter combination will be within 140% of the nominal cost through Grid.
Q.Can I just add PV+ charge controller in existing domestic Inverter? How is your system different?
It is not advisable with any make or combination, as though it may look working initially, it will cause a premature collapse of Battery. Such solar charge controllers do not share charging with the existing battery.
Q.Is it necessary to have same rating of Inverter and Solar MPPT Charge controller?
Not necessary. Only standard models have this but users can have a different combination for bigger projects to suit their requirement in a cost effective manner.